As I keep digging further down the rabbit hole I keep finding more issues. This is what happens when you start a blog and have no idea what you are doing and have massive amounts of photos and the like to keep track of.
Things I’ve been ignoring that are getting attention:
- Performance has been a major issue.
- 75% of my traffic comes from people linking to my photos, but not actually visiting the site. I’ve now at least watermarked everything, unsure if I’m going to continue to allow remote linking or not.
- There was no real structure or consistency in my media management, making it harder and harder to keep under control
Here is what I’ve done so far:
- I deleted all the pre-existing photo libraries, reconfigured the system underneath and reconverted everything back in.
- I’ve changed the theme to try and leverage some of the changes made to wordpress that I’ve been ignoring for 3 years.
- I’ve deleted many of the historical posts in mad rambling, because well… they were no longer current.
- Some of the mad rambling, that wasn’t quite so mad, has gone into a new category ‘Articles‘. This is pretty bare.
- I purchased one month on a new (to me host), moved everything over there and tested for a bit. I hated it, so sticking with the crazy russians for now but will continue to consider upgrading to something with a bit more power if I can swallow the cash.
- Cleaned up about 100 or so dead links from past posts.
- Installed and configured some cache’ing tools to help increase speed.
- Sent a bunch of time working on Search Engine optimization stuff
Here is what needs to be done:
- All the photos for all the reviews are now BORKED, so some serious time will be invested in moving them to the new paradigm. I believe I have everything, but time will tell. I’ve created an album called Conversion if you really want to dig into.
- Start posting reviews again. I’ve got two all but finished… the Schumann Lion and Catalinbread Merkin look for those to drop today or tomorrow.
- Over the couple of years I’ve been doing this I’ve started to get a much stronger love of photography, and I like to go all ‘art-y’. I’m going to set up a special section/gallery to showcase that stuff. Maybe even some high resolution wallpaper type stuff.
- Something has to give with my video camera situation, I hate this little flip.. it was supposed to be an interim solution after losing access to the nice HD camera that I had. It’s been 10 months and I’m still interim! It’s one of the reasons for ever-shrinking amount of reviews. I still go through the same amount of pedals, I just can’t be bothered to fight with the damn thing, and then look at crappy results.
In closing, I’m making a personal recommitment to get everything back under control here at BassFuzz.com.
To my 5 loyal readers… STICK WITH ME, the future is brighter than ever.