Last Update 1/16/2011
Whats the deal?
- BassFuzz.com was created because it seemed silly to keep writing and posting reviews on various websites without keeping track in any kind of organized fashion. It also allowed me to think about clips and testing in a more formal way, providing a consistent platform of equipment and notation to provide the best examples and variety possible.
What’s the best fuzz pedal?
- There isn’t one. Each pedal brings a different set of attributes to the table, and each person has a different set of ears and needs (and even these change over time). If you are going to ask for a recommendation be prepared to explain what kind of sound you are looking for and how much you want to spend before anyone even considers answering that.
Dude, your scoring method is harsh!
- I don’t believe in inflated scoring. Looking at reviews on the web can be frustrating as hell because things end up being scored 9/10 or 1/2 with very little in between. The way I figure it something that is average is a 5. If it is better than average, you are doing well! I will be VERY greedy with the 9′s and 10′s. As time passes, I might be possible that ‘average’ changes (better technology, bigger, better, faster, etc…) I’ll deal with that when/if it comes.
How can I advertise on your site.
- You can start by sending me an e-mail at email@example.com. The basic deal is I do reviews. If you are a pedal maker, my affiliation will be stated in any review that I do of your equipment. I will do everything I can to be fair and transparent. Purchasing ads grants no special status for review prioritization nor will the review be handled with ‘kid gloves’.
I’m with company X, and I want you to review my pedal.
- Send me a note and we can talk. Any pedal loans or gifts will be noted in the review. Pedals on loan will be returned when the review is done, if a special timeframe is required it needs to be arranged beforehand. Gifted pedals will receive no special treatment during the review, but to encourage the practice I will bump the review to the front of the line!
You are reviewing pedals that aren’t fuzzes, what the hell… this is bassfuzz?!
- While my collection activity revolves around the fuzz, I reserve the right to be a well rounded consumer and reviewer of pedals. Several people have encouraged me to expand my format to include more pedals, so I figured I’d give it a go.
I listened to your samples, bought the fuzz and it sounds totally different.
- While I’m providing a basic platform for evaluating fuzz with several types of basses it does not in any way provide for the entire universe of equipment. You make your own decisions, don’t blame me!
I think you should do a review of fuzz X.
- I’d love to do a review of every fuzz pedal ever on the bass, but I don’t have an unlimited budget (or time) to work with. If there is something you have and would REALLY REALLY like to have me evaluate with my platform and you are willing to send it to me for a couple of weeks, we can talk. Drop me a line at firstname.lastname@example.org
You said fuzz X stinks, and it’s clearly the best, coolest, most amazing, low end retainingist, mind blowing, world peace creating bass fuzz ever. How can you not like it, you idiot?
- I will retain the right to judge the fuzz with my ears, mind, and eyes and if you don’t agree… more power to you. The world is only interesting because everyone isn’t the same. It is my goal (especially with small manufacturers) to provide them with a preview of every review I do, and allow them to address any issues/problems that I had. Their responses will be noted in a final section of the review when it is published (or afterward as necessary).
I’ve got rare fuzz pedal X, do you want to buy it?
- Maybe! Send me a note!
I want rare fuzz pedal X, do you want to sell it?
- Probably not! If I have something for sale, I’ll try to mention it.
Your playing sucks.
- Yes, yes it does. Thanks for rubbing it in.